Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Music Healing

It seems that when I say the word "healing", I get a lot of funny looks. Perhaps people think that I am talking about raising a disabled person from a wheel chair or bringing site to the blind? I feel sure that the word "healing" has gotten a bad rap, and that is too bad. It's pretty sad that people are skeptical about the idea of "healing", but maybe that is just another sign that I need to raise my voice. Healing can simply be helping someone to feel better in any way. I'm not afraid anymore that people will not like me or that they will think I'm strange. HEALING! (So there!)

Heal/ Verb(used with object)
1.
to make healthy, whole, or sound; restore to health; free from ailment.
2.
to bring to an end or conclusion, as conflicts between people or groups, usually with the strong implication of restoring former amity; settle; reconcile: They tried to heal the rift between them but were unsuccessful.
3.
to free from evil; cleanse; purify: to heal the soul.

As a child I spent untold hours listening to music, and playing guitar. My parents never had to make me practice, but they did have to make me stop for dinner. I played and played, and at some point I noticed that when I was troubled, something was wrong, or I just wanted to "get away", I could just play guitar and get lost. The main point here though, is that when I got finished playing, I felt BETTER. I had been transported to the other side of whatever had been bothering me. Music not only took my mind off my troubles, it healed me!

Music is the most powerful healing agent that I know of, and it is a true honor to be a musician. Music heals the soul. Of course I play music in all sorts of settings, but when I play what I call "Healing Meditation Music", it is mostly spontaneous. I go to my "presence", establish myself in the moment, and then I let it happen. It isn't songs, though sometimes I do work off of patterns, but mostly it is about sounds and timing. At any given time, it is safe to say that I don't know where my fingers are going to go next! I just enjoy the ride and let it flow, and I get healed! If it heals me, it might heal you too!

SPIRIT

No comments:

Post a Comment